The Vice-Chancellor Prof. Lucy Irungu led a delegation from Machakos University in paying a courtesy call to the County Commissioner Machakos County, Commissioner Galgalo.
In her company was, Prof. Eng. Douglas Shitanda - Deputy Vice-Chancellor Administration, Planning and Finance, Prof. Peter Mwita – Deputy Vice- Chancellor Research, Innovations and Linkages, Prof. Joyce Agalo – Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academic and Student Affairs, Dr. Wycliffe Amukowa – Ag. Registrar Research, Innovations and Linkages.
The Vice-Chancellor’s delegation was cordially welcomed by the host County Commissioner Galgalo whose team composed of Samuel Mukindia – County Police Commander Machakos, Ali Athman- County Prisons Commander, Diana Mjombi- NIS, Jonah K. Shikutwa – Coordinator, and Sefania M. Mutonga- County Commander AP Machakos.
The aim of the Courtesy Call was to request for enhancement of close collaboration with the County Commissioners office so as to ensure security. Issues of concern by the Vice-Chancellor included the following: -
• Insecurity posed by houses and kiosks opposite entrance of the University. This insecurity caused criminal challenge such as dens of narcotics and deaths of students. In line with this, several students were arrested for various crimes. The Vice-Chancellor requested for correct procedure to be followed in such cases.
• The Vice-Chancellor called for joint meetings to ensure students are well and have a secure environment. This was necessary since the University had inadequate accommodation of about 500 students only out of a total of 9000 students who reside outside the University.
• Internal infrastructure was a big challenge hence there was need for big mast of lighting.
• Need for collaboration and MoU with Prison Commander in areas of interest.
• Partnership with County Commissioner’s Office to create awareness on programmes available at the University including short courses.
• Enhance patrols to cab issues of insecurity among students in the banks.
• Request the Commissioner’s office to have a meeting with students to create awareness among them and change their perception of security vs harassment. This would be quite appropriate during induction period.
The County Commissioner in his remarks thanked the Vice-Chancellor for her humility, seriousness and taking up issues personally. He promised to do the following: -
• Cooperate with the University and assist where possible .
• Called for need to show interest in the University for the good of the Community
• Withdraw APs from the University by Saturday 1st August, 2018 and sent 5 Police Officers to enhance security.
• Use amicable ways of sorting security issues
• Encourage collaboration and work in support to enhance interaction.